One of the ways to earn money online during the pandemic is by taking up an online tutoring job. The best part is that this can be both a part-time and full-time gig. So, if you have the time and means to take it up full-time, there’s the option to do that as well. All it needs is your time, dedication, good internet and a quiet environment!
If teaching has been your passion, then it is time to convert that into a job. One can actually earn considerably well through online tutoring jobs if you know where to start. In this article, we will talk about the different options that you have, before you decide on taking this on.
How do these jobs pay?
One’s pay scale depends on factors like qualification, the number of hours you put in and in some cases the number of classes you can conduct. Since each session is timed hour wise, you will also get paid in a similar manner.
It is safe to say that this industry is rapidly spreading because it makes way for different technologies and teaching. materials that are accessible to not just teachers but parents and students as well. In fact, online classes have become ‘the’ thing because of the pandemic and most have adapted to this idea now. It gives the teacher enough time to prepare the sessions and also gives parents time to settle the kids in before class. With work from home here to stay, these online classes have also worked their way around these schedules, making it easier for parents and teachers to coordinate.
How can I start tutoring online?
There are two ways to go about this; one is where you join a reputed online tutoring website and the second is where you do it independently. In India, there is Vedantu, Meritnation, Chegg, SkillShare, Udemy, among other sites, where you can conduct classes. All you need to do is sign up with them and create a profile in order to get work assigned.
In most cases, all they need is for you to be a graduate. However, it always helps to have completed training or having a certificate that allows you to conduct classes. You can also join some of the best online tutoring associations if you want to learn a little more about how this works and how you should work in the future. Reputed sites also require anywhere between 20-50 hours of tutoring experience but again that depends from company to company.
Coming to the option of working independently, you can start a YouTube channel or upload videos on other social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram. Now, if you’re wondering how you can earn from it well it is simple. Start a channel, promote it with everyone, get subscribers and based on the views on your videos, you get paid! Also, you can have enrolment fees for select batches and only then conduct live sessions or send informative videos for the class. Before you start your own channel, research a bit about how to make it work and also understanding SEO will help.
Good practices that are important for online tutoring jobs
Before you decide on taking the best online tutoring jobs from home, here are a few things that you might want to take note of. These are just some of the good practices that you can adopt in your sessions, in order to have more people enrol and enjoy your classes.
- Get yourself a stable internet connection. These days internet plans have become very cost effective and also fast. Stable connection will avoid any breaking or disruption while the class is on and will instead help you conduct it at ease.
- Set up your class in a quiet environment. This is very important because most of the video portals don’t have the noise cancelling feature. A quiet environment helps you avoid distractions and at the same time helps your student focus during your class.
- Get into the habit of starting your class with some activity. This is only to help get your class ready before getting into the next 45 minutes of heavy information. Helps the student relax and enjoy the session better.
- Prepare teaching materials to add value to your session. Engage with your students better by doing so.
- Keep the stationery you need for the class so that you don’t waste time getting up repeatedly.
So would you consider taking up an online tutoring job? It definitely gives you something to do while also adding to your qualifications. Also let’s not forget that you get to learn and teach while you earn. If there are any other ways to tutor online, please drop your suggestions in the comments section below.
Before you go, don't forget to subscribe to our blog.
Our confirmation email includes link to download our app.